Starring: Adam Sandler, Selena Gomez, Andy Samberg, Mel Brooks, Kevin James
Director: Genndy Tartakovsky
Writers: Genndy Tartakovsky and Michael McCullers
Length: 1 hour 37 minutes
Released: OUT NOW!
The third film in this family-friendly monster franchise. You’re invited along on the haunted cruise vacation! HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3 is directed by three-time Emmy®-winning director Genndy Tartakovsky.
Mavis surprises Dracula with a family voyage on a luxury, haunted monster cruise ship, the rest of the Drac Pack has to tag along, and that’s when things get a little...batty.
The monsters are having a great time, indulging in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer, from monster volleyball to colossus-sized buffets and exotic excursions, but then the unexpected happens when Drac falls for the ship’s mysterious (and dangerous) human captain Ericka.
The writing and director team of Genndy Tartakovsky and Michael McCullers have been sensible to retain the same format and to keep the formula simple. It works.
The themes of inclusion and that everyone is welcome, no matter who, or what they are, is evident throughout the film. It’s good for kids to be taught the lesson of inclusion from an early age. With this established you can sit back and enjoy the film with a host of colourful and fun characters.
The Hotel Transylvania films tend to play out as extended cartoons rather than the sort of in depth explorations of character and emotions that Disney tend to produce, but this only increases watchability (especially for younger viewers) as they are more accessible.
Box-office takings were $527M from a budget of $80M. You can’t argue with that sort of return on investment. Animation really is the best place to make a return. But it will take a well written, carefully directed and beautifully animated movie to bring that sort of reward. And when this is the third film in a franchise it says something that they can still make big profits. It’s uncommon for sequels to make more revenues than their predecessors. For the third film to make a slight improvement on the $473M from the second film is impressive. I imagine that this will almost ensure a fourth instalment and that Drac and the gang will be back for more adventures.
• Three All New Scary-Oke Sing Alongs: Sing along to three Hotel Transylvania 3 inspired songs with your favourite characters!
“Dennis Had a Giant Dog” – Sung by Dennis & Winnie
“Monsters Like to Party Down” – Sung by Johnny
“Oh These Wolf Pups” – Sung by Wanda Werewolf
• Behind the Screams – The Voices of Hotel Transylvania 3: Step behind the "screams" with the returning stars and hilarious new cast to see how these characters are brought to life in the recording booth.
• Vampire Make Over: Mavis and Drac Tutorial: Learn how to turn yourself into your favourite Hotel Transylvania 3 characters.
• Johnny’s Home Movies (Franchise Recap): Johnny brings viewers up to speed on what’s happened in the Hotel Transylvania franchise so far.
• “I See Love” Monster Dance Party Dance Along: Get up and get moving to this haunting monster mash.
• Drac’s Zing-tastic Read Along: It's storytime with your favourite characters, have a silly tale about Drac's search for a Zing! Read along or sit back and enjoy!
• Two Mini Movies (rated U): Two mini-features that will have you howling.
Goodnight Mr. Foot